Friday, February 22, 2013

Let's Be Snowflakes.


 Today, Mother Nature decided to bless us with a little baby blizzard.  Clearly, I am oh so happy about this.
It isn't really very much snow and, since it is Moscow, I know it's not going to stick very long. Which is good because I really don't like being cold or walking in the snow.

I decided that February is meant to tease you into believing spring is near only to crush you with a snow storm. Since I do not really want to go outside at all, I have spent my day cooking, and baking, and reminiscing with 90s rom-coms. 
My beautiful little blueberry muffins

But the snow - and this very quiet week - has left me feeling restless and thoughtful. 


Neil Gaiman, author of Stardust, says, “Lives are snowflakes - forming patterns we have seen before, as like one another as peas in a pod (and have you ever looked at peas in a pod? I mean, really looked at them? There's not a chance you'd mistake one for another, after a minute's close in.”
 Our lives are patterns, weaving together and taking similar paths, but the differences all lie in the details. 1000s of students attends the University, taking the same classes as me, buying the same clothes, and at first glance, people might think I am just another young adult.

But I am not. You are not. We are as differently and as wonderfully made as snowflakes or peas.

Why would I settle for being a paper, cut-out snow flake when I can be a real, crystal snowflake?

Let's be real!

Let's be unique!

Let's be beautiful!

Finding myself has been an adventure. It's been crazy. I don't think I have found myself yet. I don't there ever will be some sort of final product. But who needs one?

I think it is better to always be a work in progress. Being at a standstill and thinking you have your life planned is lame.

I have so many things to learn and experience and I have a ton of work to do on myself creatively, spiritually, physically, and mentally. Why would I decide to be done, call it good, and just sit and wait in that spot till I die? 

I think I'll stay in motion. Let life move and change me for a little bit. Let the pattern of my life get more detailed and more special.

In the last week, I got a second piercing. And dyed my hair ombré. You know why? 

Because I can. And I am young. And this is my time to try new things and add them to my repertoire. Or to my pea pod. Or to my snowflake's pattern. Whatever analogy you prefer. 


Happy snowy day and stay cozy.

Love, 
Chloé.