Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Very Potter Birthday!

**This blog post has no deeper meaning, social commentary, life lesson, or wisdom. This is purely to highlight a good time that was had last night, share a costume idea, and recipe. Enjoy!

A dear friend had her birthday yesterday and she threw a Harry Potter themed party. She pointed out that since we are all still waiting for out Hogwarts letters, we might as well celebrate in appropriate fashion.

Now, I haven't been very social the last couple weeks. I've been busy with rehearsals, weddings, and cutting fresh vegetables for this cleanse. That's really the only downside of this 28 day cycle - lots and lots of prep and cooking time. But really, that is going well.

But - back to the party.

As soon as I decided to just go and let myself have fun (meaning I was going to eat cupcake - diet be damned!!), I got really quite excited about it. And since costumes were required, I needed to put together a budget-friendly - i.e. free - costume.

I began googling costumes ideas and I was pretty set on going as Hermione. But all the Hermione costumes ideas had lots and lots of layers, and, in this Moscow heat, I just wasn't feeling that. And then I saw one Dobby-inspired outfit and I had found my look.


I removed the sleeves from a simple tan dress I had (and I did finish the edges, even though I knew Dobby's pillowcase was frayed. I wanted to be able to wear dress still).



I pulled on one tall sock, just like the one Harry gave Dobby.


And then I wore a knit cap, like the ones Hermione was making for all the house elves in Book 5. Something I really wanted to do was wear multiple caps, since Dobby takes all the lumpy hats, but I couldn't work out to make a stable cap tower that wouldn't be permanent. So I had to eliminate that aspect.


I also went with pigtails, to suggest Dobby's ears. 

A very simple costume, but people knew who I was dressed as so I would call it as success! 

To get into the house, you had to walk through a brick painted curtain labeled platform 9 3/4 and there were candles hanging from the ceiling. The birthday girl had made butterbeer, fire whiskey, and cauldron cakes. So it was regular Potter-palooza! 

Butterbeer Recipe: 

1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butterscotch topping
2 tablespoons whipped butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups vanilla cream soda
Amaretto to your taste preference

Directions

Combine condensed milk, butterscotch topping, and butter and heat on medium until butter has melted and incorporated into mixture. Meanwhile heat cream soda and Amaretto in another heatproof measuring cup.

Combine mixtures and viola! 

I will warn you - this is really really sweet, so unless you're a sugar fan, this might not be the drink for you.

Last night, we had a Tonks, a Lupin, a Lavender Brown, a Harry, a Bellatrix, a Malfoy, a Slytherin first-year, a Golden Snitch, a Muriel (the Ravenclaw Sneak) and even a Fluffy! A Very Harry Potter Birthday indeed!

"So long has Dobby wanted to meet you, Sir!"
Go have some fun this week! 

Love, 

Chloé